Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Letter From The Modest Fashionistas

Dear Clothing Manufacturers and Providers,

It has come to my attention over several saddening months that the length and style of certain dress and skirt articles that you are producing and selling are not flattering to all body types and personal preferences. As a modest dresser, I myself find it very difficult to find dresses and skirts that I would attempt to wear in public without the aid of tights or leggings and summer dresses with sleeves that would cover even an inch of my shoulders. 

This is not just a problem with certain clothing providers but with all of them. Even a trip to the mall results in cast away clothing that is short, showy, and down right scandalous.
Hey Modcloth, ever wonder why certain styles sell out the moment you post them online? I do love your "longer lengths" section. But even those are on the pricey side and are lacking sleeves
And Fred Flare,  I love your low prices and super cute clothes. You even have some items that have been sold out over on modcloth. But in all the shots, not one skirt reaches the model's knee.
Urban Outfitters isn't much better. And Anthropologie is everything a vintage loving modest girl could ask for, but is like a knife in the heart when the price tag comes into play.

I know that there are designers out there who make clothes that are more flattering to all tastes and body types. Even as someone who isn't a size small, I can find real vintage finds that look great. But as a size medium-large, I can't find vintage inspired clothes unless I'm willing to pay up over $50 (and even then the quality is sometimes not fitting to the price).

Even though it's been taken over by the "go green" movement. The campaign to be more accepting of all body types is still there. And it would be greatly helped along if the clothing we sell is more flattering to all types that are tall, short, big, or small.

So who's going to be the change?

No comments: