Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

An Explosion of Thoughts and Learnings

This will indeed be a ramble, I can feel it coming. So, brace yourself if you are ready to come with me on this one.

Now, This past week was my University’s Missions Conference. This means that classes are suspended for three days and guest speakers come in and we all attend the sessions and other activities.

I haven’t written on this blog before about my upcoming trip to Germany this summer! I’m going with a team from my school to go teach English to jr. high and high schoolers at a camp in a town in the country, upper east of Germany close to Berlin, and then we’ll be doing other work in Berlin after the camp.

That is mostly what I was doing for the first two days of mission conference. Working for the team at our table, selling my paintings and working on commissions. But that all is beside the point, I’ve been taking in all this information about missions and impacting the world for Christ. So I’ve been thinking how am I to do that? What am I being called to do?

And I thought about theater; I was raised in the theater. My dad has worked there for longer than I have been alive. And for some reason all the people that I’ve become close friends with have been involved in the theatrical world in one way or another. And for the most part, all the careers I’ve though about going into (besides my dream of being a vet to all animals except snakes when I was 6) have had something to do with theater or the media. Actress, Costume Design, Make-up Artist, Working for Disney.

I love being able to create fantasy for the real world. So that’s what I want to do with my life. And I’ve noticed how Godless that area of life is. Television, movies, stage. God is absent in most of it. The sad part is that it’s such a great way to reach people.

A friend was talking a couple weeks ago about how they want to work for theater, and how it’s such a great way to touch people’s lives. I’ve never heard anyone voice an opinion like that before, and I knew that I felt the same way, and that I’ve never really put it into words before.

It’s a great way to impact others lives. And, yes, even if plays aren’t specifically “Christian” they can still have Jesus at the center of them. But what about the people giving the message? I’ve grown up with these people; I know that some of them don’t know God. I’ve gotten glimpses of what other theaters are like, and it can be a scary place. I want to show the love of Jesus with everyone, not just the audience. And think of how much more powerful the performance would be if everyone on stage and behind it knew that the message was and believed it?

I don’t know if that’s exactly what I’ve been called to do. But at this time in my life I’m narrowing down my passions and connecting my past to open up my future. I’m willing to go wherever I am called. But I know that I’ve been given a passion for the arts for a reason. I hope that there is a way that I can use those passions to share Jesus with others.

For now I have to put my passions on the back burner and focus on my education, or else my creative ADD will take over and I’ll never get this degree…


-Brenna Kathleen

No comments: