Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

I've gone down the rabbit hole, and don't plan on climbing back out

Well, I finally saw it. Alice in Wonderland in 3D!

Let me say. BEAUTIFUL!

Alice has always been one of my tippy-top favorite characters of all time. Ever since I was little. And when I was old enough to read the books I fell in love all over again. The poetry in Through The Looking Glass! It's inspired my love of poofy dresses, bottles, cakes, and poetry ( I can even recite the Jabberwocky poem by heart)

Here she is. Alice Liddell. The girl Carroll based the book off of. 
 A sketch of Tim Burton's Alice.

 The costumes (by the amazing Colleen Atwood) are like no other Alice before. I love that the clothes don't grow and shrink with Alice, so she gets dressed in all types of things from fabric scraps to curtains!

Needless to say, when I came out of that movie theater my love for the story, world, and language was again raised from the ashes. I instantly came back and started researching everything I could, mostly dresses I'll admit. I found myself eating up every whimsical blue and white dress I could find
 -an old vintage dress, I forgot where I found it - dress from dELiA's that looks so amazingly similar to Alice's dress in the movies ( I am so tempted to buy this one)- I forgot where I found this one too. poo.

These are amazing dresses I found at Victorian Maiden. Aren't they lovely?

The renewed imagination-ness of Alice has actually come at a good time for me. I've been thinking about my art and where I want to take it. I've found myself holding back in terms of the art I produce for class. I want to come up with a product, so I'm afraid to take chances that may result in a non-product failure. But now I'm going to unleash my imagination. I'm going to let the madness of Alice influence me in the best possible way. 

I may even start to believe 6 impossible things before breakfast as an exercise. 

Send word with the white rabbit if you need to get a message to me,  in the mean time I'll be having tea with the Hatter. 
-Brenna Kathleen


No comments: