Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

DIY

There's not much for me to do during the days. I work at night, so all that's left is to sleep and clean. The former I most definitely do, and the latter I most definitely avoid. So, I DIY instead :] I surf the net for a good part of some days, go on my favorite online shops (we all know Modcloth is a good few hours for me) and look through fashion blogs to see what's up in the world of wear. And then I get to work.
Here's what I've come up with:
This baby is made out of one of my older brother's old tee shirts. I found the tutorial on the site Dollar Store Crafts

You can double it up too for a different look

And then ideas of what else to do with the shirt soon followed.
Which meant new headbands!!!! I cut up a bunch of these guys from the sleeve

And then I sewed an old scrunchy to one of them

I also cut out more strips and made a braided headband that I saw at H&M last week, it was about $3 there, but free for me!

I also started making Shrinky Dinks!!
This one I made when I went over to my friend's, Amber, house. She started me on Shrinky Dinks

Then I got home and pulled out all of my sheets of the stuff and got to work!


This one is inspired by the most adorable pair of glasses known to man, and where can you buy them? Modcloth of course!

Then I took an entire sheet of SD and tried to make a life size pair, they're almost there, just need to be a bit bigger, but good enough for me!

Here's the link of you can actually afford these lovelies

And then I got to making earrings! I had the holes that I had cut out of the life-size glasses, so I turned them into these

I also discovered something cool. Since the Shrinky Dinks become sort of 3D when they shrink, so you can draw on the front and the back. So I drew the cage on the front, and the bird on the back. The bird actually looks like it's in the cage!
I also got some free guitar picks when I bought my new Ukulele, Ulysses. I don't use picks when I play, so instant earrings!

I'm thinking of adding peacock feathers to them as well, to add a bit of flair
And with the new Harry Potter movie that came out yesterday, I couldn't keep doing all this DIY without adding some of my favorite boy wizard to the mix!

I came up with a Luna Lovegood cork necklace. The cork is from a bottle of Trader Joe's olive oil. I used up the last bit and snatched the cork before it could be recycled.
Then whilst taking all these photos today, I did a little hunt around my extremely messy room for things to create into brilliant fashion pieces, and I found this old net piece I think is the last bit of my mum's old wedding veil. She gave it to me to play with, and little me cut it all up and turned it into little craft projects. I'm sure she knew that would happen though.
I made this literally 5 minutes ago

Good thing is, all I did was tie it around my head, so I can just as easily undo it and make it into something else!

The best gift I received from growing up in a not-so-wealthy artist family was creativity, and the ability to turn anything I find into a new play thing or a new fashion statement.

Until later!
-Brenna

No comments: