Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

My White Knight

When I was at the end of my sixth grade year, I auditioned for my soon-to-be middle school vocal ensemble. The song that I sang was "Goodnight My Someone" from The Music Man. Looking back I'm glad that they took a chance on me, I remember my whole body and voice was shaking so bad! I've never been an amazing singer, and I was singing super first soprano for that one. The choir director took me aside and had me sing Mary Had A Little Lamb to make sure I could follow notes, and to probably check that I could sing for real.

I still sing that song at random times, granted I usually take it down a notch. When I make my bed at night, and say goodnight to my roommates sometimes I will start humming it or sing a few lines. Most of the time that's met with some shushing because they're trying to sleep or read. But I still sing it in my head when I get it in there. I love the idea of singing to someone you love even when you don't know who they are.

Since I get it in my head, sometimes I want to actually hear it so I hop on youtube and bring up the modern version with Kristin Chenoweth (sorry for you folks who love the original). As always, youtube has the related videos on the side, and I saw the video for My White Knight was up.

This song has been stuck in my head, but I had forgotten what it was from! It's in there from reading and watching too much Alice Through The Looking Glass. When I read the character of the White Knight it makes me think of this song. So when I found it, I got really excited.

I had only remembered the tune to the words that are the title of the song, so when I listened to it again I fell in love with it.



How amazing is that? It's about how she wants a normal guy (even though the guy the character ends up with is nothing like what she described). Everyone has sweet songs about amazing men who will come and swoop them off their feet. But sometimes it's not like that. Sometimes he's a normal guy, but still honest, gentle, plain, and straightforward. 
I love the line "And I would like him to be more interested in me than he is in himself. And more interested in us than in me." Of course she has the girlish feelings that she wants him to be interested in her, but then she says that he wants him to be more interested in their relationship than in her. She wants a man who will take more time to work on the two of them together.

Not only does she want a normal kind of guy, but one "if occasionally he'd ponder what make Shakespeare and Beethoven great."
This is why I love Marian. Because she loves books. And her secret little desire is that the man she loves is a man who loves the same things. Books and music. Ah..... sounds wonderful.

And as if the most mundane love song couldn't get any more un-romantic listen to the line "let me walk with him where others ride by." The other people can ride in their fancy little love mobiles. But Marian just wants to walk and love her man. It's so simple.



So simple.


If only it were truly that simple.


Enjoy the video, and click on others. I'm going to go sleep/try to sound like a respectable soprano
-Brenna Kathleen

No comments: